8/28/11

The Last Unicorn

So I make NO SECRET that The Last Unicorn is my favorite movie (also, book?) and I don't CARE if that's girly or whatever because that movie is AWESOME. So wistful and sad in that Peter S. Beagley sort of way, with that feeling of magic I only remember from a lonely childhood. I love the whole thing, even Liir's atrocious American accent and those cheesy songs they make Mia Farrow sing.

So of course I just had to pick up The Last Unicorn graphic novel when it came out, to bask in some more nostalgia know what I'm sayin'? And imagine my surprise when I open it up to find . . .

Whaaa? Last Unicorn BEEFCAKE?

Yeah, apparently there was a precedent of unicorns turned into humans before Amalthea? And it was a hot dude? I didn't remember this part from the novel (though I'm sure it's in there--I'm just forgetful)

Yeah, a little pretty for this blog and the flowing tresses are maybe a little much. But I like his cute little beard thing~

3 comments:

  1. I remember the description from the book- the "giggling virgin" bit is definitely there. I don't remember the part about him being crazy beefcake, but that could just be artistic license.
    (Also what, there was a Last Unicorn graphic novel and I didn't even know!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Last Unicorn is a movie for only children (or lonely ones) because you don't have noisy siblings ruining the magic of it all.

    That said I read the book a few months back and I do NOT recall this at ALL O.O

    (The beefcake parts)

    Also: GRAPHIC NOVEL!?

    When is Beagle gonna hurry up and make that sequel he's been teasing over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Two Hearts' has been out for, like, a while now Jubell! It's pretty short but most of the main characters show up in it at some point or other. Also we may be getting a whole novel sequel at some point as well, eventually?

    There's also three Schmendrick and three Unicorn stories being released in different collections I think. One of them is in his newest collection 'Sleight of Hand'.

    And yes! Graphic novel! It's not an adaptation without flaws, but the art is basically gorgeous throughout. And I just heard today that they're working on adapting 'A Fine and Private Place' next!

    ReplyDelete